Books throw the reader into a new world. A fantastical world, a world strikingly similar to our own, or reminiscent of our childhood. A world depicting the future or the past. A world that may affect our own. Here we explore the alternate worlds of stories- a parallel universe.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"Trust me. I'm a genius." ~Artemis Fowl

In fifth grade I was introduced to the world of the fairy underground, LEPrecon (silly humans and their leprechauns), an elf named Holly Short, and a 13-year old criminal master mind.  I still love that place, the land where a teenager young enough to believe that fairies may exist but smart enough to outwit them plans to kidnap a fairy, and then ransom him/her off for fairy gold.  And that is just the beginning.  I read the newest installment of the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer in less than two days over Christmas break.  Artemis Fowl the criminal mastermind has become a more globally conscious genius, his body guard Butler still manages to tease death, with the help of his trusty Kevlar vest.  Foaly the technologically geeky centaur now has a lady friend that somehow managed to separate him from the tinfoil hat he once sported.  And Mulch Diggums, dwarf thief extraordinaire continues to stuff his face every chance he gets. 

For those of you new to the world of Artemis Fowl and the Fairies that live thousands of feet beneath our feet- I’ve introduced you to some of the eclectic cast of characters because the personalities Colfer has embedded within them enthralled me.  As those of you who are familiar with the stories would agree, these personalities appeal to humor and sincerity, love and hate, fear and deep sorrow, confusion and insecurity, wonder, and of course imagination.  Understandable by avid fifth grade readers but enjoyed by the likes of parents and teachers (especially my mom and my fifth grade teacher Mr. Nickey) the tale of Artemis Fowl’s trials and tribulations, genius acts and occasionally questionable morals epitomizes the fantasy genre.  The plots are youthfully enjoyable, yet full enough of hilarious witty remarks and Artemis and Foaly’s genius thoughts to stimulate the adult mind.  

Realistic to the point that you will find yourself looking over your shoulder for the tell-tale shimmer that reveals a shielded fairy (at least as a fifth grader), yet embedded with magic and adventure, Artemis Fowl’s world begs, and deserves, to be explored by readers everywhere.  It is a world perfect for a weekend escape, a week- long odyssey, or even a month long hiatus from life in this universe.  And please, start at the beginning of the series.  That way, when the world effectively enchants you, you will still have the rest of the story in front of you to discover.    

5 comments:

  1. I love how you are so passionate about books. I can totally relate to you on that level books expand our imaginations and knowledge. They allow us to experience different worlds that we cannot experience in real life. I never read these specific novels but heard about them. They sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been babysitting for my professor's three and five year old children and I swear that every day is a visit back to my childhood. Blue Clues, plastic plates of gold fish, finger paintings. It's so cool you're doing the same through books. I never read Artemis Fowl, though now I kinda wish I had....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a long, long time ago! I remember the Artemis Fowl books, but I never got into them. Reading really does open you to new worlds and for however long we please, whether a weekend, a week, or an entire month, like you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Artemis Fowl back in the day, and the series instantly became my favorite. I do not read very much anymore, but the next time that I go home, I might just want to wipe the dust off of my old Artemis Fowl books and read them again. I was the same age as Artemis when I read the books, and I thought the concept was awesome. When I first read the books, they were not extremely popular, and I would always be alone in my "Artemis Fowl could kick Harry Potter's butt" arguments. I never liked Harry, but Artemis was my boy! Ahhh those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, its not too late!! I meant it when I said they aren't just kids books- give the first one a try, and trust me you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete